Chinese Name: 温暖的弦
Brief Summary: Wen Nuan (Janine Chang) broke Nan Xian’s (Zhang Han) heart seven years ago. She returns from abroad and takes a job at Nan Xian’s company and gets promoted to his assistant. Meanwhile, they both have a fake significant other…
I am on episode 20 and I am not only frustrated by this drama but also infuriated. I was looking forward to this because I like the two leads, Janine Chang and Zhang Han, but the pacing is awful, the story is underdeveloped, and some of the characters are unbearable. Here are my rants, which are as spoiler-free as possible.
1) Nan Xian (Zhang Han) treats Wen Nuan (Janine Chang) coldly and cruelly. He manipulates and schemes. He is unbelievably petty. I understand that she broke his heart and he’s still not over it, but all he does is play mind games. He clearly must be smart to have become so successful – so why can’t he consider the possibility that Wen Nuan had a good reason for breaking up with him? Especially since A) she returns and works as his assistant, and B) she’s cleary changed from the vibrant girl he once knew.
2) Wen Nuan’s actions are also excruciating to watch. She’s such a passive character and constantly puts herself in the position to be hurt by Nan Xian. There are so many times when I wanted to yell at her to just quit. The worst is when Nan Xian puts her in the middle of his vendetta against Lin Lu (and I’ll get to him later). She clearly still has feelings for Nan Xian so the way I see it, she could either stay far away from him or try to make peace with him. Instead, from the start they just don’t talk about anything so they’re continually stuck in the same place.
3) In episode 20, we still have no idea why Nan Xian and Wen Nuan broke up. Since there are a whopping 46 episodes, I guess I shouldn’t be that surprised, but come on – give us a reason to root for the leads!
4) Initially, Lin Lu wasn’t much to root for either but as the drama has progressed, he’s definitely come through as the better man. He’s a good friend to Wen Nuan and he’s good to his parents. (His scenes with Wen Rou, Wen Nuan’s sister, are actually really endearing. I really enjoy their friendship.) Even though he makes mistakes, his heart is in the right place. He has never tried to hurt Wen Nuan deliberately, unlike *somebody*. I feel bad for him, and with 26 episodes to go, I hope he doesn’t turn into a villainous character because that would be the last straw.
5) Yi Xin is so obnoxious, and the flashbacks both made me despise her and feel bad for her. She schemes as much as Nan Xian so they deserve each other, but we know she’s not going to end up with Nan Xian and it’s really his fault for leading her on (and using her to torture Wen Nuan). Also, Pan Wei Ning’s relentless devotion for her is so random and annoying.
6) Why are there so many flashbacks?! The ones from seven years ago add value, but the ones from 15 minutes earlier in the episode are so unnecessary. We didn’t get amnesia in the past 15 minutes (but I kind of wish I did so I could forget this drama).
7) Wen Nuan’s sleep-calls were referenced a couple times early on and then never again. What does it mean? Is it important???
I do not recommend this drama at all, but I did see someone say that if you start at episode 29 it’s watchable so if I make it that far, I will report back.